What do the scholars of shari’ah say in regards the holy Qur’an and one’s wellbeing? Which surah’s are recommended for healing? Which surah’s are recommended for tackling depression?
“People, your Lord’s teachings have come to you; they’re a healing balm for the diseases of the heart, and guidance and goodwill for the believers. Say, “Its Allah’s grace and kindness, so celebrate since its better than all the wealth they accumulate.” (Surah Al-Yunus:57)
This verse describes how the Qur’an firstly, preaches effectively and impactfully, it touches the heart and the mind, moves the emotions and the intellect. Secondly, it is a healing balm that rids the reader of moral sicknesses like arrogance, anger, jealousy, and greed. Thirdly, it is guidance that differentiates between truth and falsehood. Fourthly, it is Divine grace that benefits humanity.
If you have a medical condition, seek medical treatment. The Messenger ﷺ said “there is no illness that doesn’t have a cure.” Today medical science is very advanced and capable of curing many fatal diseases, Alhamdulillah! So, how do I use the Qur’an’s healing power? I suggest you use the Qur’an to connect with your Lord, the source of all cures. Here I have gathered some spiritual prescriptions. Enjoy using them. According to Imam Ahmed the Prophet ﷺ said “there are two healers, one is the Qur’an and the other is honey.” (Ahmed)
Surah Al-Fatiha, the opening surah, is recommended for bodily and psychological healing. You may ask how can a reading of a short chapter of the Quran give healing?
The answer lies in the fact that all psychological and mental illnesses stem from the attitude and the way we think. The attitude can lead to anger, arrogance, greed and jealousy and they cause most mental anguishes leading to depression. That is why following of ‘the straight path’ gives healing. The person who regularly prays five times a day and asks Allah ﷻ to keep him on the straight path will be protected from mental anguish and depression. When a person says, “You alone we worship and from You alone we seek help,” the despair and mental anguish will go. By focusing on the Everlasting, All-Powerful and Sustaining Lord, you free yourself from the clutches of the fleeting material world. You get a sense of contentedness and confidence. In this short prayer, ‘we worship you alone,’ the servant is dedicating him/herself to the Lord. Putting trust and reliance on the Lord.
Here is a list of different Surahs that have been recommended for attaining healing for bodily illnesses and mental depression:
- Surah Al-Fatiha, the Prophet ﷺ named this as the chapter of healing.
Khwaja Nizamudin explained how to read this surah for healing. He said “read the surah forty times and each time join the meem of Basmalla to the laam of alhamdulillah and at the end, say Amin three times.
- Some have recommended the recitation of Surah Al-Nisa seven times for overcoming depression, despair, and fear.
- Surah Al-Anbiya is particularly useful to tackle depression. It is recommended that it ought to be read three times daily. It will create optimism, hope and strong faith.
- Surah Al-Qasas is for infectious diseases. After reading it three times, blow on water in a glass and give to the patient to drink.
- Surah Al-Luqman is very useful for treating illnesses.
- Surah Al-Tariq is beneficial for anyone who has ringing ears, tinnitus or piles.
- Surah Al-Asr is good for overcoming negativity, sadness and despair. It should be read seven times.
And Allah ﷻ knows best
Dr Musharraf Hussain Al-Azhari
Director of British Fatwa Council