What do the scholars and experts of shari’ah say regarding the signs that indicate a person is beloved to Allah ﷻ? Are there any that we are aware of?
There are many signs which have been mentioned that indicate a person is amongst the beloveds of Allah ﷻ. From them are the following:
- Ease and joy in following the beautiful practices of the Prophet ﷺ.
- A person shows compassion and humility towards his fellow Muslims, good manners, and co-operation towards non-Muslims.
- There is no hatred or jealousy in one’s heart towards the awliya of Allah ﷻ. There are many people who are from the awliya and remain hidden. A believer always looks towards himself for improvement and does not spend time in judging others.
- To fulfil the obligations commanded by Allah ﷻ and spend time in voluntary acts of worship, such that a person largely spends their time in praise and remembrance of Allah ﷻ. A person makes a conscious effort to ensure his heart, tongue, hands and all the body parts are safeguarded from anything haram.
- When Allah ﷻ loves a person, that person then becomes beloved in the eyes of the angels and people alike. Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra narrated that the Prophet ﷺ said, “If Allah loves a person, He calls Jibrail, saying, ‘Allah loves so and so, O Jibrail, you love him also’ So Jibrail loves him and then makes an announcement in the Heavens: ‘Allah has loved so and-so therefore you should love him also.’ All the dwellers of the Heavens love that person, and then he is granted acceptance amongst the people on the earth.” (Al Bukhari)
- A person keeps his nafs (self) in control, obedience, and remembrance of Allah ﷻ. Busying oneself in reflection and praying to Allah ﷻ brings one closer to His ﷺ When a person strives to turn to Allah ﷻ and be closer to Him, the mercy and blessings of Allah ﷻ rush to that person even more.
And Allah ﷻ knows the best
This Fatwa is written by Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Munir Al-Azhari